Monday 14 June 2010



THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - 14th JUNE 2010

'Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.'

The Psalmist speculated about whether there was anywhere that he could go where God would not be.

As scientists find more amazing ways to look further and further across space, more amazing images come back via the Hubble telescope. A few years ago scientists got to the stage where they were able to look more closely at what they call the M51 "Whirlpool Galaxy" which is situated some 31 million light years away. As they zoomed their telescopic lens into the very centre of that huge Galaxy the picture above was what the Hubble telescope sent back to us. (It has not been touched up in any way) Even as we strain our eyes across the universe, trying to see what is out there; what we find is the image of the God of all creation.

The Psalmist cried out :

PSALM 139:7-14 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

The Psalmist asked the question "Where can I go from your Spirit?" The answer that Psalm 139 gives is "NOWHERE". The Living God is always there. Whatever troubles you, he is there. Whatever guidance is needed, he is there. In every Joy and in every trouble his arm is not to short to reach out to you. God's promise to each one is that He will be with us always, to the very end of the age (Matthew 28:20).

How far will your faith take you today?

Science helps us see images from so far away and yet it takes faith to see within those images the thumbprint of God.

We don't have to look 31 million light years to see evidence of God's presence. Take a look around you today at all that the Lord has done, not just in creation but also in your life and give thanks for the amazing beauty all around you.

Remember, "FAITH IS DARING THE SOUL TO SEE BEYOND WHAT THE EYES CAN SEE".